5 UK Debit/Credit Card Purchase Passive Reward Schemes — No Investment Needed
Get cashback automatically, when you spend on your existing debit or credit card.
[Updated on 18th January 2022]
In this article, I will tell you:
- What passive cashback is
- 5 ways to gain passive cashback with your current debit/credit cards
- How to simplify your card management
What is Passive Cashback?
Passive cashback is where you get cashback without any additional effort/actions when you use your existing debit or credit card at certain retailers.
Getting Passive Cashback
- You need to register your debit or credit cards with each provider
- All 5 of the providers can be used collaboratively (AirTime Rewards, Quidco, TopCashback, KidStart, Curve)
- Earning cashback is automated, with no effort required per purchase
1) Airtime Rewards
Airtime Rewards give you cashback on your mobile phone bill. It works with monthly and Pay As You Go accounts.
It’s really easy to set up and use. In fact it’s my favourite passive cashback provider because of how easy it is to set up, the number of retailers (online and in-store), the level of cashback provided and the speed that you get the cashback taken from your phone bill.
The supported mobile network providers are:
If you’re on a network that isn’t supported, you can claim the credit and gift it to someone else. I am on the Sky network, so I collect credit and gift it to my parents who are on the Vodafone network.
Cashback is available with over 180 retailers (including high-street stores, online only stores and Q-Park car parking), in-store and online.
The amount of cashback received is decent, for example:
- Argos, 3%, online & in-store
- Boots, 5%, online & in-store
- Debenhams, 4%, online & in-store
- Halfords, 5%, online & in-store
- Primark, 3.5%, in-store
- The Body Shop, 5%, online & in-store
To redeem the cashback:
You redeem cashback from within the app. You can only redeem a minimum of £10 — I have done this and it was quick and easy.
Sign up to Airtime Rewards with code N4RRA9A4 to receive credit.
Quidco are a popular cashback site, which I sometimes use before purchasing items online. Their passive debit/credit card offering isn’t very good as they currently only list 10 retailers, but as it’s a one-time registration I have included them here.
Get £10 when you register with Quidco.
From the top menu on their website, go to ‘More | Highstreet’ to register your debit/credit cards.
TopCashback is my ‘go-to’ site before I purchase anything online, as they usually offer the biggest discounts. Their passive card-based offering has a limited list of retailers, but as it’s a one-time registration I have included them here.
Get £10 when you register with TopCashback.
From the top menu on their website, go to ‘Features | OnCard Cashback’ to register your debit/credit cards.
With Kidstart you can save money for your children, other people’s children, schools or children’s charities. I have two children (James and Sophie), so all money I make with this method automatically gets placed into their bank accounts.
Register your credit and debit cards and they will automatically track your purchases whenever you use them at one of partners who offer KidStart Savings on the high street.
Once registered, from the top menu on their website, go to ‘My KidStart | Manage Account | Registered Cards’ to register your debit/credit cards.
Curve requires you to select and activate offers in advance, but they have a good selection of retailers with decent levels of cashback, as shown here:
Select an offer to view the terms and conditions, then and activate it:
There are no costs or annual fees for the card, in fact you’ll get £5 for signing up!
You can choose to spend the cashback automatically, or you can save it up and spend it when you want.
For the first 30 days you will get 1% cashback at 3 retailers you choose. This is ongoing if you subscripe to a £9.99 plan and for 6 retailers if you subscribe to a £14.99 plan
I use Curve in conjunstion with a Crypto.com Visa card for maximum rewards, security and features.
- Sign up to Curve and get £5
- Sign up to Crypto.com with referral code qu80wtyk0i This can be used within 5 days from having your account KYC approved. Get $25 when you stake for a card
- Sign up to the Crypto.com Exchange with referral code qu80wtyk0i, you will get $10 if you stake at least 1,000 CRO and $50 if you stake at least 5,000 CRO
- The Essential Guide to the Visa Debit Card from Crypto.com
- Curve adds Security, Functionality and Rewards to your Existing Debit and Credit Cards
- The Essential Guide to the Crypto.com Exchange
- The Essential Guide to Maximising CRO Investment with Crypto.org DeFi
- The Essential Guide to Farming, Harvesting and Mining Cryptocurrencies
- This is why I’m Massively Excited for the Growth of Crypto.com
- The Essential Guide to Discounted Gift Cards with Crypto.com Pay
- The Essential Guide to Generating Some Money the Easy Way, Guaranteed
- The Essential Guide to Saving Money and Building Wealth in the UK